You asked: Can FEMA reimburse me for my accommodation costs?



If you live in one of the 25 parishes designated for FEMA assistance and incurred short-term accommodation expenses due to Hurricane Ida, you may be eligible for reimbursement.

Question: Can FEMA reimburse me for my accommodation costs?

Reply: FEMA may be able to reimburse accommodation costs that are not covered by insurance benefits, such as additional living expenses or loss of use. The primary residence of the survivor before the disaster must be uninhabitable, inaccessible or affected by an extended service outage caused by a disaster to be considered.

Question: I have insurance, can I still get reimbursed for my accommodation costs?

Reply: By law, FEMA cannot duplicate insurance benefits. Insurance policies may include coverage for additional living expenses or loss of use, which is a benefit that provides additional funds to cover increased costs, including temporary housing, when you cannot live in your home. home due to loss covered by insurance.

FEMA Housing Expense Reimbursement (LER) can only be considered if an applicant has not received housing assistance from another source (for example, a voluntary organization) for the same dates as the applicant. asks the LER.

Question: What information do I need to provide to request a refund?

Reply: To be considered for the LER, eligible applicants must submit verifiable accommodation receipts or detailed statements with the following information: name of the applicant or co-applicant, information about the accommodation provider (name, address and telephone number), dates of occupancy and amount of expenses incurred.

Question: Where can I download my accommodation receipts?

Reply: Applicants can upload their receipts online to their account. All documents must include the registration number and DR-4611-LA. Download the instructions for uploading your documents. This information is available in several languages.

Survivors can also submit by standard mail to: PO Box 10055 Attn: FEMA Hyattsville, MD 20782-8055

Or Fax 1-800-827-8112 (Cover page required)

Question: When can I expect to receive reimbursement for my eligible accommodation costs?

Reply: LER requests are reviewed manually by processing staff. In larger scale disasters, such as Hurricane Ida, it may take one to two months after submitting receipts to receive reimbursement.

Question: Can I be reimbursed for my food or transportation costs during my stay at the hotel?

Reply: No. Eligible expenses may include the cost of the room and taxes charged by a hotel or other accommodation provider. This does not include the cost of food, phone calls, transportation or other miscellaneous expenses.

Question: I stay with friends or family; can I be reimbursed for expenses?

Reply: No. Accommodation costs incurred during a stay at the home of family or friends will not be reimbursed.

Question: Is LER the same as rental aid?

Reply: No. The LER is the reimbursement of accommodation costs (accommodation and taxes) that are not covered by insurance benefits, such as additional living expenses or loss of use.

Housing assistance is money that can be used to pay for another place to live or stay while a survivor is unable to live in their primary home. Rent assistance is paid directly to the landlord or eligible tenant. Rental prices are based on fair market rent rates that the US Department of Housing and Urban Development identifies for a particular housing area.

Question: Is LER the same as Transitional Accommodation Assistance (TSA)?

Reply: No. The LER is the reimbursement of accommodation costs (accommodation and taxes) that are not covered by insurance benefits, such as additional living expenses or loss of use. Assistance is not provided directly to the hotel or in advance to the survivor, but is reimbursed to the survivor after receipt of receipts showing reimbursable expenses when incurred

The TSA allows eligible survivors to stay temporarily at participating hotels or motels when other accommodation options are not available after a disaster declared by the president. TSA-eligible applicants do not receive the cost of their accommodation. The stay is paid directly from FEMA to the participating accommodation provider.

25 parishes in Louisiana are designated for FEMA assistance for Hurricane Ida: Ascension, Assumption, East Baton Rouge, East Feliciana, Iberia, Iberville, Jefferson, Lafourche, Livingston, Orleans, Plaquemines, Pointe Coupee, St. Bernard, St. Charles, St. Helena, St. James, St. John the Baptist, St. Martin, St. Mary, St. Tammany, Tangipahoa, Terrebonne, Washington, West Baton Rouge and West Feliciana.

Apply online at or call the FEMA helpline at 800-621-3362 (TTY: 800-462-7585) 24 hours, 7 days a week. If you are using a relay service, such as Video Relay Service (VRS), closed captioned telephone service, or the like, give FEMA the number for that service.

For the latest information, visit Follow the FEMA Region 6 Twitter account on or on Facebook at



Comments are closed.