Drinking, Drugs and Driving: Getting Your Licence Back

Anyone found guilty of driving a motor vehicle or driving a motor vehicle. The Quebec Automobile Insurance Company (SAAQ or license bureau) cancels the person’s driver’s license.

The length of time can not be called the prohibition period. It depends on the specific offense and is guilty of similar offenses in the past.

Usually, the person must wait until the prohibition period ends to get a new license. But in some situations, the person can get a special license, called a restricted license, before the period ends.

This article explains the main rules on

  • restricted licenses, and
  • getting a new license after the prohibition period.

Restricted License

Restricted License

A restricted license lets you drive during the prohibition period. But you can only drive with an alcohol ignition interlock device approved by the SAAQ. The device prevents the vehicle from starting to detoxify alcohol on your breath. It also includes information about the use of the vehicle.

To get a license, you must meet the requirements of the SAAQ, even if you need to drive for your work.

You can not get a restricted license in these situations:

  • the judge’s decision does not allow it
  • the license that was canceled was a learner’s license
  • Your license was not valid when you committed the offense to the driving prohibition

Prohibition Period

In all other situations, the SAAQ can give you a restricted license after the minimum prohibition period . These are the minimum prohibition periods:

  • for a first conviction, the judge decides the prohibition period
  • for a second conviction, three months after the judge’s decision
  • for any convictions after that, six months after the judge’s decision

The judge who ordered the driving prohibition can extend these minimum periods.

How to apply

You can apply for a restricted license when the minimum prohibition period is over. These are the steps to follow:

  • Rent an alcohol ignition interlock device from a government-approved supplier.
  • Go to an SAAQ office with the contract to get the license
  • Pay the license fee.

You must pay for également Installing the device is your vehicle and the monthly rental fee.

Rules to obey

Rules to obey

With a restricted license, you can only drive a vehicle equipped with an alcohol ignition interlock device. You must also obey the SAAQ rules for the device and, when asked, give the SAAQ the information the device collects.

If you drive a vehicle without an alcohol ignition interlock device or do not obey the SAAQ rules, you will be treated as a driver without a license . If the police stop you, they can immediately seize and impound your vehicle at your own expense. You may also be $ 1,500 to $ 3,000, or you may be found guilty of another crime

Getting a Regular License Back

When your license is canceled, it no longer exists. You do not get back after the prohibition period. You must meet some requirements before you can get a new license.

Evaluation of Your Relationship With Alcohol or Drugs

Evaluation of Your Relationship With Alcohol or Drugs

Getting a new driver’s license has been found guilty in the last ten years. Usually, the SAAQ will evaluate you to make sure your relationship with alcohol does not prevent you from driving safely.

The main requirement for getting a new license is to pass an evaluation of your relationship with alcohol or drugs. This is done in an alcohol or drug rehabilitation center, or in a hospital that offers rehabilitation services.

Short evaluation . If this is your first offense, you will usually only have a short evaluation ( maintenance assessment ).

If you pass the short assessment, you will have to wait for an awareness session on alcohol- and drug-related problems before you can get a new driver’s license.

If you fail the short evaluation, you must undergo a complete evaluation.

Complete evaluation. Aim the assessment can take Several months (comprehensive assessment) if you are in one of These situations:

  • You are found guilty of refusing to do physical coordination tests or give a breath or blood sample, even if it is your first offense.
  • You have been found guilty in the past ten years of an alcohol or drug-related offense or refusing to test or give a blood or breath sample.

Other tests

If your license has been suspended for three years or more, you should also consider the theory and driving tests given to new drivers.

If you had a learner’s license at the time of the offense, you must complete the learning period and pass the standard theory and driving tests in addition to passing the evaluation.

Alcohol Ignition Interlock Device

Alcohol Ignition Interlock Device

If you pass the evaluation and other tests, you can get a new license. But in most situations, you will only be allowed to drive with an alcohol ignition interlock device . This requirement can be for one to three years or even for life , depending on your offense and the number of similar beliefs in the previous ten years.

The only exception to this requirement is when you have had a little experience and you have passed it.

Comments are closed.